Wadena County Crime Victim Advocate

Rights and Services for All Crime VictimsSome place Safe Logo

  1. You have the right to apply for financial help for losses resulting from a violent crime. This assistance does not cover property losses. For application and information, call Crime Victim Justice Unit at 1-800-247-0390 xt 1 or TTY 7.1.1. or 1-800-627-3529.
  2. You have the right to request that the law enforcement agency withhold public access to data revealing your identity. The law enforcement agency will decide if this is possible.
  3. You have the right, if an offender is charged, to be informed of and participate in the prosecution process, including the right to request restitution (money court ordered from the offender and paid to the victim).

If you feel your rights as a victim have been violated, call the Crime Victim Justice Unit at 1-800-247-0390 or TTY 7.1.1 or 1-800-627-3529

Victims of Domestic Assault

  1. You can ask the city or county attorney to file a criminal complaint.
  2. You also have the right to go to court and file a petition requesting an order for Protection from domestic abuse. The order would include the following:
    1. an order retraining the abuser from further acts of abuse;
    2. an order directing the abuser to leave the household;
    3. an order directing the abuser from entering your home (or a reasonable area around  your home), school, business or place of employment;
    4. an order awarding you the or the other parent custody or/visitation of your minor child or children; or
    5. an order directing the abuser to pay support to you and the minor if the abuser has a court order to so.
  3. You also have the right to notification of the case is declined or criminal charges are dismissed.

Wadena County Crime Victim Advocate

NameAddressPhoneFax24 Hr. Crisis Line
Tanja Richter
11 Bryant Ave SW
Wadena, MN 56482
(218) 631-3311(218) 631-7092(800) 974-3359